I’m librarian, teacher, and tech generalist at Sunapee Middle High School in Sunapee, New Hampshire. On listservs, at workshops and conferences, on Twitter and on this blog, I also try to occasionally share information about information.
I began my career in education in South Florida, where I taught high school social studies, including several IB and AP courses. After earning a master’s degree in history, I moonlighted as a college adjunct, teaching the United States history survey. Before leaving Florida, I also earned the MLS degree, which I first put to use at the reference desk at Plymouth State University in New Hampshire. After several years at PSU’s Lamson Library, my experience as a high school teacher helped me transition to the position of school librarian, which I’ve held since 2003.
I reentered the history classroom in 2014, teaching AP U.S. History for the first time in over ten years. This experience, while expanding my professional responsibilities, has also expanded my professional interests to include historical data and the digital humanities. More specifically, I’m becoming increasingly interested in things like mapping and data visualization relative to historical research.
Within the school library setting, I seek to blend quality information sources, technology, and physical space into a vibrant and accessible learning environment. As librarian, I also work at creating useful classroom and elearning materials to support my research and writing instruction, some of which can be found online.
- MS Library and Information Studies, Florida State University, Tallahassee, FL, 1998
- MA History, Providence College, Providence, RI, 1993
- BA History, Rhode Island College, Providence, RI, 1989
- Additional graduate-level course work in technology and education, Plymouth State University, Plymouth, NH, 2001 – 2004
Professional Experience — read more
- Librarian and Teacher, Sunapee Middle High School, Sunapee, NH, 2008 – present
- Librarian, Newfound Regional High School, Bristol, NH, 2003 – 2008
- Social Studies Teacher, Newfound Regional High School, Bristol, NH, 1998 – 2003
- Adjunct Reference Librarian, Lamson Library, Plymouth State University, Plymouth, NH, 2000 – 2008
- Social Studies Teacher, Chaminade-Madonna College Preparatory, Hollywood, FL, 1993 – 1998
- Dual-Enrollment History Instructor, St. Thomas University, Miami, FL, 1995 – 1998
- Adjunct History Instructor, Keiser University, Fort Lauderdale FL, 1997
- Social Studies Teacher, Suncoast Community High School, Riviera Beach, FL, 1990 – 1992
Publications — read more
- “Looking for Peace and Quiet.” (2014, Mar/Apr). Knowledge Quest: Journal of the American Association of School Librarians, 16-21.
- “iPads in Libraries: Not an Easy Decision.” (2011, Winter). Online: Newsletter of the NH School Library Media Association, 6.
- “In Defense of Cushing.” (2010, Winter). Online: Newsletter of the NH School Library Media Association, 6.
- “PSAT & AP Success.” (2001). Organization of American Historians Magazine of History, 15 (3), 55-56.
- “Revolutionary Cumberland: A Note on a Historical Controversy.” (1993). Rhode Island History, 51 (4), 129-136.
- “Death of a Notary: Conquest and Change in Colonial New York” [Review]. (2000). Choice: Current Reviews for Academic Libraries, 37 (5).
- “Terms of Labor: Slavery, Serfdom, and Free Labor” [Review]. (1999). Choice: Current Reviews for Academic Libraries, 37 (3).
- “American Slave Narratives” [Review]. (1999). Choice: Current Reviews for Academic Libraries, 37 (3).
- “Slavery and Freedom in the Rural North: African Americans in Monmouth County, New Jersey, 1665-1865” [Review]. (1997, March 15). Library Journal, 74.
- “The Americas in the Age of Revolution” [Review]. (1996, November). Library Journal, 73.
- “Lords of All the World: Ideologies of Empire in Spain, Britain and France” [Review]. (1996). Choice: Current Reviews for Academic Libraries, 33 (7).
- “Popular Politics and British Anti-Slavery: The Mobilization of Public Opinion Against the Slave Trade” [Review]. (1996). Choice: Current Reviews for Academic Libraries, 33 (5).
- “The American Revolution in Indian Country: Crisis and Diversity in Native American Communities” [Review]. (1996). Choice: Current Reviews for Academic Libraries, 33 (5).
Presentations — read more
- From the Center for History and New Media, Christa McAuliffe Technology Conference, fall 2013
- Using Turnitin as a Learning Management System, Sunapee School District, August 2013
- Using Google Forms and Feedback Documents for Managing Student Work, Christa McAuliffe Technology Conference, fall 2012
- Teaching with Google Docs: Research Instruction, New Hampshire School Library Media Association Conference, spring 2012
- Ereaders in Your Library, New Hampshire School Library Media Association Conference, spring 2011
- Building a Virtual Learning Commons, Christa McAuliffe Technology Conference, fall 2010
- Library Redesign, New Hampshire School Library Media Association Conference, spring 2010
- Digital APUSH, student-created digital history projects based on original research, currently hosting a mapping project on Federalists and Antifederalists in New Hampshire, 2015 –
- Serendip-o-matic, a playful academic search tool — a product of One Week | One Tool (http://oneweekonetool.org), hosted by the Roy Rosenzweig Center for History and New Media (http://chnm.gmu.edu), summer and fall 2013
Selected Service, Outside Work, & Leadership
- Grant reviewer, National Endowment for the Humanities Office of Digital Humanities, Washington, D.C., 2013
- Mentor for alternative certification program, Kearsarge [NH] Regional School District, 2013
- Chair, School Resources Standard Committee, NEASC visiting team for ten-year reaccreditation of NH high school, 2012, 2005
- Data input volunteer, The Online Newsstand Project, 2011 – 2014
- Member, Strategic Planning Committee, Abbott Public Library, Sunapee, NH, 2009
- Member at Large, Friends of Gordon Nash Library, New Hampton, NH, 2007 – 2008
- Department Chair and member of Administrative Leadership Team, Newfound Regional High School, 2002-2008
- Chair, Steering Committee, self-study for ten-year reaccreditation, Newfound Regional High School, 2005-2006
- Reader, The College Board’s Advanced Placement United States History annual grading sessions, San Antonio, TX, 1998 – 2002
- Department Chair and member of Administrative Leadership Team, Chaminade-Madonna College Prep,1995-1998
- “One Week | One Tool” team member: NEH-funded open-source software development institute, George Mason University’s Center for History and New Media, 2013
- Distinguished Educator Award, Broward County, Florida, Chamber of Commerce, 1998
- Graduate Seminar Fellowship for Teachers of Politics and Government, Robert A. Taft Institute for Government, Providence, RI, 1989
- “Libraries Turn the Page.” (2011, February 8). [Manchester, NH] Union Leader, B1-B2.
- Advanced Placement (AP) United States History, AP Government & Politics, AP Macroeconomics
- International Baccalaureate History of the Americas
- United States history survey
- United States history, geography, economics, world history, American government
Selected Professional Development
- NH School Library Media Association Conference, Meredith, NH, May 2015
- Christa McAuliffe Technology Conference, Manchester, NH, December 2014
- Christa McAuliffe Technology Conference, Manchester, NH, December 2013
- Advanced Placement U.S. History Institute, St. Johnsbury, VT, July 2013
- Educator’s Guide to Personalized Learning in the Cloud, Meredith, NH, April 2013
- Christa McAuliffe Technology Conference, Manchester, NH, November 2012
- Virtual Learning Academy Charter School Partnership Training, Exeter, NH, September 2012
- Writing Across All Content Areas for Common Core State Standards, Bedford, NH, August 2012
- Google Apps for Education Boot Camp, Keene, NH, July 2012
- NH School Library Media Association Conference, Meredith, NH, May 2012
- NH School Library Media Association Regional Conference, New London, NH, April 2012
- iPad Open House, New Hampton, NH, March 2012
- NH School Library Media Association Conference, Meredith, NH, May 2011
- Google Geek Meet, Exeter, NH, April 2011
- NH School Library Media Association Regional Conference, Claremont, NH, April 2011
Credentials & Associations
- New Hampshire teaching certificate, social studies and media generalist
- New Hampshire School Library Media Association
- New Hampshire Society for Technology in Education